Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Holy McDonald's? Holy Crap! Holy Crap?

This entry was originally published at www.xanga.com/redroadhome on 6/23/06.

During a summer when most people in my age and position are interning in their field with the hopes of the experience leading to an excellent job, I’m working at McDonald’s. In a house in which the majority of residents are female and hold positions at trendy stores selling stylish clothing, I’m working in an 80+ degree environment greasing- and sweating-up the same two uniforms four days a week. When most of my friends are hanging out until after one and sleeping as late as possible before running to work at nine or ten, I’m waking up at 5:30 and 6:30 to start making breakfast for the folks who want fast food early (no comment on the bedtimes). And I love it: I’m so thankful for the opportunity.

I didn’t just jump into any McDonald’s. I’ve spent five weeks working at the one in Ocean City, New Jersey: a beach, according to some, that is the best family vacation spot in the United States. We’re the only fast food restaurant on the island and definitely cheaper than almost any other restaurant in the area – I’d take a value meal over two slices of pizza on the boardwalk any day. People make a big deal when a McDonald’s sells $1000 of food in an hour – rarely happens – well we did three $1000 hours in four out of four this past Saturday, one of them over $1600. We’re good.

The orders are often hilarious. The cashiers have never ceased to amaze us folks in back with creative orders that often include things we don’t even sell: add sesame bagel? We don’t carry ham to put on sandwiches. No, you didn’t need to say “No Mayo” for the double cheeseburger because it doesn’t come with any! The additions and subtractions people come up with are wondrous: “I’d like an Egg McMuffin with a biscuit instead of a muffin, no cheese, and sausage instead of Canadian bacon.” You mean a sausage and egg biscuit? “I’d like a grilled chicken BLT without bacon, lettuce, or tomato.” So you lied to me about the BLT part? “Could I have a cheeseburger without a burger and no mustard, ketchup, pickles, or onions?” Couldn’t you have just made grilled cheese at home?

The employees are always enjoyable. Some are college students like me. Edmund can make anything funny just by laughing at it: it’s contagious. Luke’s studying to be a doctor, which is really scary, because he’s always late and out of it – always cool as a cucumber, which is not so good when cucumbers don’t make sandwiches or perform surgeries very effectively. Ben’s a professional – count on him to get anything necessary done; badmouth his work and you’ll never hear the end of it; put a nonChristian manager around him and they’ll be talking about the gospel in less than 20 (these Campus Crusade folks don’t mess around). Myrick knows how you’re feeling and always has the right suggestions: he’s not afraid to tell people to chill, forget about things, focus, or accidentally break nuggets in half so he has an excuse to eat them. We’re all just here for the summer, so we’ve been entertaining ourselves with crazy sandwich concoctions that all include extra mac sauce, synchronized sandwich making, hiding runts (pieces of fried chicken too small to serve) where they’re not supposed to be, generally supporting each other in Christian love.

The real backbones of the work area have been working there for years. The main manager, Debbie, is the most fun to work with: her rambling will get even the most serious or tired person cracking up in five minutes flat. Maxie’s a shift manager who would be the one person who could most likely run the entire store by himself if nobody else showed up. (I quite enjoyed the 3:00-3:30pm period when it was just me and him in the back. He was tearing through the sandwiches as fast as possible and I was running like a madman between the grill and the back wall throwing down beef to cook and chicken to fry.) Skip is an smaller older guy who always seems to be in a state of controlled hyperness: funny voices and sandwich making faster than the eye can follow abound. People who don’t speak Bruce-ese can barely understand a word Bruce speaks, but he’s very supportive and loves running up and down the store with milkshake mix and salads and dehydrated onions and leaf lettuce and blocks of cheese and everything else people up front could ever want or need. And Steve’s a black dude who can’t keep his mouth shut 'bout ‘nuthin, which gets him in trouble quite a bit. But he’s always right, and he’s darn good at putting sandwiches together, 'specially during breakfast.

The work has been very educational. Teamwork is the backbone: usually six folks are in back, and if people aren’t caring about their work and paying attention to what other people are doing and fitting in holes and fulfilling special needs, things fall apart. Communication is essential – it provides not only the passing on of needs and hunches, but also some necessary entertainment and encouragement, lightening the mood and letting others know that you’re in this with them. Trust benefits the entire team: more jobs exist than people, so workers have to take risks in letting go of their normal responsibilities for a short time to do other things. Without trust this doesn’t work because workers are insecure and don’t want to be yelled at if things appear to start to fall apart, but when workers know their capabilities and step out to help and others trust them in that, more is accomplished. And such challenges and risk-taking make the job worthwhile: a sense of achievement and purpose comes into being when a worker does more than necessary, others support them in that and appreciate them for it, and the organization benefits.

My favorite time at work was during lunch about a week ago. One person didn’t show up for work and one person went on break, so there were five of us in back during a very busy time. Four people were making sandwiches, two on each side of the table, and I was left to do grill and back wall – a debatably impossible job, especially in support of two full sandwich lines. But our team was determined to do this after four weeks of experience together; the others trusted me and let me know what they needed. And I just plain embraced the challenge of running back and forth from one side of the table to the other, keeping track of what was down and how long it would be before it needed to come up and trying to be there when it did, put it in a tray, and get it up in the racks as fast as possible for the others to use it. Throw sixteen pieces of reg meat down, throw twelve pieces of quarter down, pull up the reg and put it in the racks, run across and throw two bags of nuggets and two bags of strips down, the quarters are done – run back across and pull those up and put them in the racks, do two more runs of reg meat – thirty two pieces, pull them and run to get the nuggets and strips. And people are filling the lobby and the guys on table are yelling and joking and God’s offering a unbelievable peace and joy in a place not many people would look for it.

That’s a lot of details about my work, but explaining my work experience certainly isn’t my reason for writing this entry. Let’s spice it up with some Bible covenant talk: “I [God] will make you [Abram] into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:2-3). Reoccurring theme throughout the Bible: God blessing His people, not just for blessing’s sake, but so that they will be a blessing to everyone around them. David prayed to better know God’s salvation so he could “teach transgressors [God’s] ways, and [help] sinners turn back to you” (Psalm 51). “God gave knowledge and understanding” to Daniel and his friends and used them to bring praise to bring Babylonian kings to bow before Him. And on and on.

So how do I pass my experiences on? What can I do to help you gain from the blessings God has so faithfully poured out on me? Is this journal entry a blessing to you? I seriously doubt more than 2-3 people really gain anything from it. Do I write a Fast Food devotional marketed for high school students and takes these experiences and literally and symbolically relates them to Bible passages for growth? Should I write a corny song about the people I got to know and the lessons I learned that would maybe sound decent enough to get some attention in hopes that someone would care enough to ask about the lyrics? But isn’t it simply unfaithful for me to sit on this and not talk enthusiastically about God’s work, even if it’s at McDonald’s?

And I only say even at McDonald’s as a transition, because such a place is no further away from God and has no worse employees than any other place. We hope that we have more “potential” than to end up working somewhere like that, and we therefore need to redefine our views. Bruce and Skip and Steve and Debbie and Maxie are amazing people and employees and would have done excellently working anywhere, had the opportunities arisen. It amazes me that I can say that, if it comes to that, I would have no problem working at such a place for the rest of my life – I wouldn’t consider myself a failure, because I’ve come to see that people there are just as capable and real and caring as people in any other area of life who just happened to end up there.

I’d like to issue a thank you to Lizz for requesting more reflections, and an apology that this whole scrambled thing seemed to pop out. Hopefully whoever reads it can make something of jumbled thoughts about quick-service restaurants and reflections on making the everyday mundane a blessing to all peoples.

No comments: