Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Significant Insignificance

This post was originally published at www.xanga.com/redroadhome on 4/7/06.

Me and my teams are losers. Well, at least for this year. A single moment will forever define Ohio State's 2005 football season in my mind: when Ryan Hamby dropped a touchdown pass at the beginning of the fourth quarter during their third regular-season game, forcing the Buckeyes to kick a field goal and miss out on four points. They lost to the soon-to-be national champion Texas team by three points. A similar moment broke the Lady Blue Devils season: when Alison Bales failed to block the game-tying shot with seven seconds less by an inch. Duke lost in overtime.

The effects of the smallest mistakes can certainly be so large as to determine the outcomes of extended battles and trials. When viewed on the wavelength of an entire life, though, applying such a statement seems an impossibility. Constantly considering how every "insignificant" action and decision can lead to success or failure would cause any normal person to be stuck in fear of coming consequences and unable to joyfully and peacefully live life in faith. But another end of the spectrum exists: choosing to ignore the possible consequences of acting and choosing not to act to the point of failing to have an impact.

The strangest of Jesus' parables, in my opinion, is recorded in Luke 16:

Jesus told his disciples: "There was a rich man whose manager was accused of wasting his possessions. So he called him in and asked him, 'What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your management, because you cannot be manager any longer.' The manager said to himself, 'What shall I do now? My master is taking away my job. I'm not strong enough to dig, and I'm ashamed to beg. I know what I'll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses.' So he called in each one of his master's debtors. He asked the first, 'How much do you owe my master?' 'Eight hundred gallons of olive oil,' he replied. The manager told him, 'Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred.' Then he asked the second, 'And how much do you owe? 'A thousand bushels of wheat,' he replied. He told him, 'Take your bill and make it eight hundred.' The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings."

The most difficult part of the parable is getting past the master's praise of the manager's dishonesty. Abusing the resources God has entrusted to us is clearly wrong, but ultimately abuse is not what is discussed in the parable. The reason the manager is a positive example is because he was using the resources ntrusted to him for the right reason: showing love to others. Instead of hording the worldly wealth, the manager seeks the best ways to serve others, leading to positive relationships. Vital to the passage is the sense of urgency: the manager is forced to immediately take notice of his resources and do whatever possible with them.

This is a call to self-examination and a shrewd use of resources that goes against the common sedated attitudes. Youth are often especially unaware of the worldly resources God has given them; for example, I've still failed to compile even a rough list of the various college accounts and savings bonds saved for my college education, and I only have a year left in college! Taking inventory often gives a realization of how much more can be given beyond tithing to the church to spending time with new acquaintances paying for those who would be unable to attend activities like retreats and conferences to be able to participate in the growing and training. Of course the application isn't limited to money: Is your house in a central location for friendships? Do you have relatives with places perfect for get-togethers? Are there people that you know that can give you and a new friend a special deal for a lunch or a round of golf? These resources should certainly be acknowledged.

Making the best use of them involves having an attitude of urgency. The lackadaisical worldly attitude of playing video games and TV must be the first thing surpassed because we have a limited amount of time and know our resources are called for use by the Kingdom. Considering the examples of my sports teams have been instrumental in my own thoughts of this urgency because even the smallest lack of focus and will can make the largest difference in the outcomes. In fulfilling the most exciting and fulfilling mission to ever enter this earth, we can't hold anything back.

"Loser" by Switchfoot

Only the losers win. They've got nothing to prove; they'll leave the world with nothing to lose.
You can laugh at the weirdoes now. Wait 'til wrongs are right: They'll be the ones with nothing to hide.

'Cause I've been thinking, thinking: I've got a plan to lose it all; I've got a contract pending on eternity. If I haven't already given it away, I've got a plan to lose it all.

I've been the burnout kid; I've been the idiot. I'll turn the other cheek to be hit. You can take what you want from me, empty me 'til I'm depleted. I'll be around if I'm ever needed.

I wrote this song for you to show how I'm selling out. I'll take the benefit of the doubt.

No comments: